Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summerfest Parade

This weekend was Orem Summerfest.  Friday night we took the kids to dinner and headed straight over to the carnival.  We purchased our tickets - it was 1 ticket for kid rides and 2 for the rest.  I didn't see any kid ones, but Porter picked out his first ride, which was one of those spinning ones.  Since there were no people in line the people running it were gracious enough to let everyone go for a ten minute ride!  Porter and I were laughing as hard as we've ever laughed.  For the first three minutes.  Then they became giggles.  By the end I thought he was definitely going to lose his dinner.  "I feel so sick, mommy,"  he told me.  When we got off I asked where the 1 ticket kid rides were, and found out they were on the opposite side of the park.  We had a much better time once we ended up over there, with little boat rides and carousels.  I took some pictures on my phone, we will see if I get around to uploading them.  Saturday night we went to the parade.  Jared and I are both not fans of parades, but both of our kids LOVED it.  I loved watching their eyes light up and the excitement they felt.  By the end, I was bordering parade lover.  Porter especially loved when the bands would play, and seeing all the instruments.  He would yell out every single instrument.  Of course the taffy candy was a hit with both kids, and let's be honest, the only thing that kept Tyson sitting contently in his stroller until the end.  Tyson crashed on the walk home, but Porter stayed up late with me and we drove back over to the park to get a front row view of the firework show.  I loved having one-on-one time with him, and our little conversations we had.  As we laid together in the cool grass, snuggled up together in a blanket and watching and talking about the beautiful fireworks, I felt so content, happy, and blessed to be his mom.  Good times.
Two jets are about to fly over us, can you tell he is excited?

Naming all the instruments.


Tyson of course was captured by the big noises, and all of the people.


And when the excitement wore off, we turned to the taffy.

Porter in his little camp chair, I think he is adorable.

1 comment:

Kendal and Alissa said...

I totally agree with this post. Kendal and I have never been into parades, but watching them through your children's eyes is a whole new experience. LOVE IT! I love the picture you took of Porter with the band in the background.